Saturday, June 8, 2013

Stuffed Peppers

I had about 4 days left at work and I really needed to make some food for the week. I decided to make stuffed peppers an Sunday. They were really good but next time I think I will make them more of a rellenos style and char off the skin. It was a little annoying and as I got to the last one I ended up only eating the filling. :-(

Here is how I made them:

Four fresh orange bell peppers. Washed and ready to cook

Saute 1/2 red onion and 1/2 yellow onion with two sprigs of fresh rosemary and oregano. I sauteed with 2 tbsp. of olive oil and 1 tbsp. of butter. 'Cause butter makes everything better.

Doesn't this look amazing as a starter....This makes me happy

I added field greens and 3 shaved carrots.

Added kalamata olives to give it a little salty flavor. These were diced and added to the mixture.

The peppers were cut on top, cleaned out and washed again. I am such a germ freak.

I browned some organic ground chicken.

This is my new friend when I am really needing some carbs (which is usually when I run over 5 miles) . You just heat it up and then add it to the mixture.

I added everything together and stirred to combine.

Then I placed the filling inside of the peppers.

This is a little weird but I was always taught to add tomatoes and water to the pan of peppers. I added about 1/2 cup salsa and 1/2 cup of water and mixed it in a bowl.

Once you get the peppers all stuffed add some cheese to the top. I added feta cheese.

Here is the finished product.




I don't have a lot of natural light in my kitchen in the later evening when I made this so a few of the pics came out a little less beautiful, but you get the point. Trust me these things are amazing but please take off the skin before stuffing. You can put them under the broiler for 2-3 minutes and rotate them 2-3 times. Once they are charred you wrap them in foil and let them steam themselves. The skin will peal off and be ready to stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment