Saturday, June 22, 2013

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

Now that I am off for the summer I can really dive into my passion/hobby....COOKING! My and my friends Porscha and Ashley have been spending our time at the pool discussing our favorite dishes and what we want to put in our bellies.

Mr. Lovely called me the other day while I was basking in the sun with Porscha and wanted to know what was for dinner. Well I did not realize that I had been at the pool for over 4 hours....Hey once you start getting in good girl time you lose track of real time. I hurried home and whipped up this meal. It was tasty for me but I had to make him a side meal....he is a real meat and potatoes kind of guy.

First you scrape out the innards (is the right?) of the mushroom and take off the stem. Discard that crap cause it does not taste great (trust me I know).

Season the inside of the mushroom with salt, pepper, and olive oil and put in the oven at 400 degrees for 8 minutes. I just found this olive oil at Target the other day and I am in love with it. There is not an after taste and it is light enough to put on salad as a dressing.

So this is a really crappy picture of the items I planned to put into the stuffing mixture. I used everything except for the Kalamata olives. The stuffing would have been overly salty so I opted out. Always remember to taste test your foods as you are cooking to know how much seasoning to add.

I sauteed chopped 6 button mushrooms with half of a red onion in olive oil. Which is purple so I am not sure why it is not called a purple onion??
I added about 1/2 cup of frozen spinach. This allowed for the mushrooms and onions to cook down even more because of the water that was in the frozen spinach.
I am obsessed with Adams Garlic Powder. They have really good seasonings. I added about 1/2 tsp. of this to the sauteed mixture.

I took the sauteed mixture out and added 1 tbsp. of butter and sauteed 6 shrimp. I then cut up the shrimp into little pieces and sauteed them even more until all of the butter was absorbed. Yeah arteries!

I added all of the sauteed mixture and shrimp together with 1/2 a block of cream cheese, 1/4 c. of sour cream, and 2 oz. of provolone cheese. Mix very well to incorporate all of it together.

I filled the mushrooms with the mixture and topped with a little Mexican cheese that I had left over from taco night. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes...Long enough to melt all of the cheeses inside and out.

Here is the finished product. I could only eat 1/2 in one sitting so these babies are pretty big and filling. This made 4 meals and I paired it with a small side salad. Pretty amazing.

 I make these every summer because they are easy for me to make and put into the fridge to eat.

Recipe for Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms:

2 Portobello Mushrooms
4 oz. cream cheese
1/4 c. sour cream
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. olive oil
6 shrimp (shelled and deveined)
1/2 c. frozen spinach
1/2 of a red/purple onion
6 button mushrooms
2 oz. provolone cheese
any type of cheese to put on top to brown. 




No comments:

Post a Comment